September 17, 2010

A Day On Bardstown

"Vacuums Open" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.

I decided, after reading a number of very inspiring articles on Eric Kim's blog, that it was time to get out and go do some shooting. I've been in a bit of funk as of late, things at home piling up, photography hitting a period of severe stagnation, and I needed to do something to pull myself out of it. So, I grabbed my camera, some trail mix, my water bottle, and hit the pavement. I prefer to walk where I go (which, granted, is a bit limiting, as even with the small amount I was carrying, 10 miles gets to be a bit much, especially when you have the return journey to think of), as it affords me many more opportunities to see what would otherwise be nothing but another unnoticed blur out the car window.




"Bridge" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.

As I walked past hospitals (2-3, depending on your definition) (I guess Louisvillians get sick a lot), and not seeing too much except this bridge, I arrived on Bardstown Rd., the hangout of choice for hipsters with too much money and too little to do (I'm fortunate to have too little money and too little to do. A much better combination in my opinion), but also a great place to shoot. Unfortunately, there weren't many people out that day, but I still got a few keepers.

As I walked, I came upon many familiar sights (I've been up and down this road so many times it's almost sad), but everything was viewed through new eyes, and it was fresh, and different, and interesting. One of the great things about this city is the fact that there are, per capita, more restaurants than any other city in the US, excepting New York, I think (if anyone has some statistics on that, I'd love to take a look at them). With all this food, from all over the world (in one little shopping center I frequent whenever I can, there is a Cuban, Iraqi, and Ethiopian restaurant all right next to each other), you find some really interesting interior and exterior designs, which can be incredibly photogenic. I found this drape next to one such restaurant, and couldn't resist. The lines, man, the lines!

"Curtain" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.


As I continued my journey, I stopped at a favorite coffee joint, Heine Brothers', of which there are a few around town. I like this one the best, as it's actually sharing a building with Carmichael Books, a great little bookstore, and the people are always fairly fascinating. I was sitting there, eating some trail mix, drinking my black iced coffee. I looked up, and I couldn't help but take this photo. I loved the sky the whole day (it started raining about half an hour after I got home), and it was just amazing here.


"Under The Umbrellas" Louisville, KY.September, 2010.


I walked on, and came upon Bardstown Road Bicycle Co. (Bicycling is huge here.) I really dug the old-school dude and his old-school big wheel bike on the sign, and after working it a bit, I settled on this shot as my favorite.


"Big Wheel" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.



Continuing on my trip, I came across an old building, with the paint all peeling on the siding. Something about old, rundown buildings really piques my interest, and I love shooting them. The textures, the feeling of decay, of neglect, it's all so vivid in peeling paint and splintered wood which was once smooth and pretty. Here's my take.


"Decrepit" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.


And, as the day was winding down, and I was preparing for the return trip, heading back in the direction of home, I came upon some folks at a bus stop. Not exactly an uncommon occurrence, but something about the way this guy was leaning against the building screamed at me to take his photo. Couldn't tell ya why, but I like it.


"Waiting" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.


So, that's my walk around Bardstown Road. It's an intriguing place, and the people are always taking your preconceived notions and dashing them in the dirt (yes, even the goddamn hipsters), and it's a place I look forward to shooting many times in the future. Thanks for taking a look, let me know what you thought.

2 comments: