September 18, 2010

Shooting With My Brother

"NEPO" Shelbyville, KY. September, 2010.

So, today my brother Jack and I went out to Shelbyville, and then downtown Louisville, to shoot. Just a couple kids, out walking around, seeing what we see. I didn't shoot much, as there wasn't much that caught my eye. Not a whole lot of people out today, odd being a warm Saturday afternoon and all.

We started out driving out to Shelbyville, a small little town about twenty minutes out of Louisville. It reminds me so much of the towns and villages up in the lower foothills of central California, it was almost uncanny. Like I'd been there many times throughout my life, even though I'd never set foot there before today. The only real difference I could find were the plethora of those 'Historical Landmark' signs. Everywhere, man. Friggin' everywhere.



So, without further ado, here are some of my favorite photos of the day:


"Sidewalk" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.


We were on our way out the Shelbyville, and stopped at a little farmer's market at one of the myriad churches in St. Mathews. I didn't really find much of interest there, but I happened to look down as we were crossing the street, and I just couldn't resist myself. It was a tough choice to leave it in color or convert into B&W, but after careful deliberation, well... It's obvious what I chose...


"Spirals" Shelbyville, KY. September, 2010.


So, we got there, parked, stepped out of the car, and there was this gnarly old building right next to us. I think it was a property management company, but it has been many other things prior to it's current incarnation. I took a few shots, and a number of them being of these spirals. This is my favorite.


"Window Shopping" Shelbyville, KY. September, 2010.


That's it for today. Taking too long to upload, gotta get to getting on. There should be more tomorrow, or soon thereafter.

* * *

Okay, back to try again. Here are some more photos...


"Barber Shop" Shelbyville, KY. September, 2010.


Came across this as we trekked along. Old, abandoned, randomly having a baseball bat. Couldn't pass it up. Though I got a few more photos there in Shelbyville, it's a small town, and this is the last one I feel is worth sharing. Now, onwards to Louisville.

We finished our walk down and back up the main road in Shelbyville, and decided to head into downtown Louisville. There are always interesting things to do and see there, and I always have an enjoyable, if stiflingly warm and windless, time while there.


"Into the Distance" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.

We parked under the 64 overpass and started walking. Came upon this old parking "garage," and it caught my eye. I really dig the posts repeating into the distance (hence the name, eh?).


"Untitled" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.


I really like the architecture around Louisville. It's an older city (much older than I'm used to, being from California), there are a multitude of old buildings. Churches and government buildings, mostly, but the architecture is amazing. The thing is, some of the most interesting (read: unphotographed) area of these buildings are right below your feet. I really liked the way the light/shadows played on these stairs.


"The Eyes, They are Watching" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.


Still in downtown, I saw these parabolic mirrors, and I couldn't help but lay down and shoot. If you look closely in the one on the right, you can see my brother.


"Horse" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.


These things are everywhere in town. All painted differently, all over the place. It's like there's some obsession with horses here or something. Churchill Downs, these things, Kentucky Derby. I dunno man, I think they like 'em a bit.


"Untitled" Louisville, KY. September, 2010.


And for the final shot. I love these ones. Where you're just going along, and boom! there's a great photo opportunity right in front of you.

So that's it for now. It took three days to get it up here, but that's okay, 'cause it was totally worth the wait. Right? RIGHT?!?

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could'a been there with you boys! Maybe when I come out in Nov/Dec we can take a day and go out shooting together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to it with great anticipation.

    ReplyDelete